Happy by Clinique wasn’t something I’d wanted to try but after a friend encouraged me to buy a bottle on the assurance that it was ’the best ever’ (vague to say the least), I parted with cash and took the plunge.
Coming in an orange card box, the bottle looks tacky to say the least, oval in shape, the overall first impression was "eurgh" but the looks were indeed deceiving.
On removing the lid I was greeted with a fruity citrus aroma that reminded me more of a bowl of oranges (hence the colour of the bottle I'd say) and upon inspecting the notes, this is marketed as a refreshing masculine scent made from a blend of lemons, mandarins, oranges and grapefruit and is recommended for day wear around the office.
- Head: Lime, green notes, mandarin orange, lemon and sea notes;
- Heart: Freesia, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley and rose;
- Dry down: Cypress, musk, guaiac wood and cedar.
Taking the blend of ingredients into account it wasn't surprising that my first impression of the fragrance was one of a very acidic, fresh and citrus aroma. As stated earlier, the overbearing initial fragrance is oranges, but once applied it fades quickly and after around 30 minutes the entire fragrance is subtle, the lime and jasmine begins to stand out over the other ingredients.
Over the course of the day, the lime fades and lemon and oranges are again the predominant fragrances.
This is not what I would call a masculine aftershave, but it is still lovely.
I can't stress enough how subtle this is. Without actually sniffing at area's I had sprayed I wouldn't have known I was wearing this. Saying that however, it is a sign of a good quality aftershave and that it blended well with my skin and can’t actually smell it.
Bearing in mind I couldn't smell this after an hour you would think that quite a large amount of the aftershave would be needed for a day in the office. You'd be wrong, three to four sprays from the 50ml bottle is all that is needed for well over 12 hours of smelling gorgeous.
At under £30 for 50ml, this is a real bargain and is an ideal stocking filler for that man in your life.
- Smells gorgeous
- Is reasonably priced
- Long lasting
- Will get you noticed for all the right reasons
- Is a versatile fragrance, ideal for office wear, but personally I prefer to wear it when out on the town.
- The only faults I could find with this fragrance were the actual bottle design which to this day looks completely out of place. It is neither unique nor pleasing to the eye and after shaving it stings like no other aftershave I own. I put this down to the actual citrus and alcohol ingredients, but it is seriously sore for a few minutes after applying.
Taking everything into account, and the fact that you will get noticed wearing this it can only receive the thumbs up from me.